Skip to main content

Hello Kalimpong!

Travelled to Kalimpong for the week-end.I remember visiting the place when I was six.Had been there for an interview in SJC and to meet up with my sibling who was in the boarding school then.Allthough a stone's throw away from my state, never got around to climbing the hill to visit the place again.
There was a surpressed air of anticipation and excitement as we climbed and did the rounds of the multiple hills-it almost felt like Mandrake's xanadu.The town on the hill-top seemed to be a meek town caught somewhere in a time warp.It had it's old world charm in parts-very much Kalimpongish!!-nothing new or shiny about the place-the baker's shop selling the gigantic buns,little wooden houses with tiny gardens,dirty-market place,the famous mela ground where the 15th august celebration is supposed to be second to none in India and ofcourse the very old Gompus and their momos.A typically company humour doing the rounds during the gorkhaland agitation went something like this-,during the struggle, tourism was one of the main casualties.Apparently Gompus had to stow away a lot of pork momos due to lack of customers-some live porks, when sniffing through the bins ,apparently saw the momos in the bin and wondered aloud-'It looks like our demand for the free state has been agreed upon!'
That's Kalimpong for you!
Didn't regret the visit.
It's onwards to Darjeeling next-it's been even longer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Image of Christ.

 There is nothing more scarier than a heart that has hardened .I was talking to Mary the other day,infact weeping with her There is a deep restlessnessness inside.Thank God for it becuase it shows that I have not resigned myself to the way things are.I was telling her I miss the deep experience of seeing the image of Christ and the compassion of the Holy spirit which just used to overwhelm  my heart when I saw the image of Christ in people ,situation and the creation. What is the image of Christ?It is a body marred and maimed to bear the sin of the world.it is a voice that did not speak in protest against God the father,who actually planned it all before the creation of the world,not against the people who maimed Him ,flogged Him,drove the nails into His hands and feet to satisfy their sinful nature.The image of Christ is a body broken  to the utmost yet given to feed the very same people .It is a love that did not count the cost. I am a person who does not put too much v...

Till I finally reach Home...

I have made some sort of trend to do one solid thing every year of my life in Mangan post-EHA and un-beknowest I seem to have a knack for doing things almost subconciously. I learnt driving,started the dialysis unit,learning violen,built my building..atleast half is done....opened a shop and this season I could deliver christmas cakes  for sale to various families .It kept me busy and occupied. Each cake was a labour intensive but absorbing work.Almost like painting. Here is the result. I realise I delivered 11 cakes this season.But there is this restlessness again ....someday I will be home and I will rest.....till then..I am on the lookout for the next project,

A self retreat.

 The last week of January I have started camping out in my construction site with a manuel which reads the King's James version of Holy bible.I thought I would take time to just quieten myself .I am getting a peek into the family who looks after my land.The construction is moving at rapid pace.I pray that it will beat the monsoons this year.If the Lord wills it I hope to do the first floor as well in this sitting.It requires a lot of prayer for the plan and the design and occupancy thereafter. As you can see there is a significant progress.I am here for till the month end.The first night my two little nephews and my cousin decided to rough it out with me.It was quite interesting having them around. The early morning view of the mountains are what I am hoping to catch.It can be breathtaking in December and we are still towards the end of winter so I should be able to enjoy it.The first night was a learning experience with princess and the pea experience.Second nigh onwards I have ha...