Skip to main content

Ups and downs.

I have had an absolutely sleepy saturday today.I was drowsy throughout,I literally had to pick myself up and walk down to TESCOs the long way to buy some food but mostly to give myself some exercise.I am waiting for my laundry so I thought I would let some thoughts at the back of my mind just seep out.There is chill in the air outside and I have hayfever.I can go the whole year round with it in this country and my patients tell me this is common.
Today early in the morning my cousin sent me a single line message ,'S is nomore'.I felt sad.Now how do I know S?One day out of the blue I got a desperate phone call from my cousin.A friend of hers from school who had been instrumental in supporting her baby steps into Australia had suddenly out of the blue been diagnosed to have GB ca.She was young ,may be in her late thirties,looked younger,sensible ,hard working .She wanted to know the prognosis.Looking at the staging and the extent of the disease it did not look good.SO the parents decided to bring her back to India.When she was in Delhi,I went with my cousin to see her.To me she looked extremely chalky, but my cousin insisted that it was her usual colour.She looked tired,thoughtful and talked quite a bit.Her mother ordered KFC from the mall in Vasant Kunj where they were renting a house.I felt mighty awkward to eat anything in that sombre environment although it was well past lunch time.
My cousin had shared the gospel with her but she hardly responded.Her mother had reached a stage where she would request prayer for her but would simultanaeouly be knocking all the other doors.
I took my cousin through the process of how a patient with gall bladder ca with liver mets would ultimately progress.
She called me up again to let me know that she was going through hepatic encephalopathy.She was having hallucinations and could not sleep at night.One such time she asked her mother who she was?When her mother reminded her that she was her mother ,I believe she reiterated ,no-you are lying,I am alone I have nobody.I am a doctor.I have learnt in life to pull myself back from emotional situations to save myself.Like my sister-in-law said ,In Sikkim,peopele are tough.We cannot afford to dwell on our losses so we move on ,sometimes all of it looks vey cold.
In the midst of it all my mother lets me know that the flowers I had planted by the supposed pool at home had sprouted one of which had started blooming and the other had grown shoots which would flower on for a very long time.My sister in Australia had brought a whole lot of flower seeds.One afternoon I planted a few of them in a corner of a plain space and forgot to mark it.Next few days I found our hand walking all over the place while doing his chores.I had given up hope that anything would sprout but it has .Life has sprung overcoming the hopelessness of the situation and it was my mother who spotted it and urged my brother to photograph it and send it to me.Praise God for my mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.