Skip to main content

How come you never told me?


'You shall know the truth and truth shall set you free.'(John 8 vs 32)
I remember the first few week into my job I met a second generation indian foundation year student.As I got talking she suddenly blurted out that she was from a hindu background in Gujarat but she was a christian and had accepted Christ as her Lord and savior.
I was taken aback because west is not necessarily conducive with a roaring evangelical bent,especially in England, where people are by nature 'stiff upper lip'.However,though believing christians are few and far between they are comitted,now only if they would open up a bit more!,love a little more.
She further added that she reads her bible everyday and prays.I asked her why?
She told me in so many words,'Because it is the truth'.Isn't it?She asked me.I was taken aback a little by what she said.
I have with age learnt not to come to quick conclusion.I have by God's grace learnt to hugely respect and stand back in awe at the way our God works beyond the simple logic and common sense of the finite human mind.
At this stage in our lives ,before our Lord Jesus comes back the most important thing I think is the direction we are heading towards everyday.
Sitting down with a few believers after dinner,we were sharing our walk in August of this year and there was a lady from a christian background who was not a believer but seemed to be searching.As she expressed her beliefs which sounded like a mixture of confused new age...the mature christians listened to her respectfully because anyone could see she was genuine in her search and as she shared she mentioned her mother and the sunday school where she had been taught the bible stories.For me,a God fearing ,praying mother is a powerful tool God uses to bring her children to Him.One of the ladies in the room said in so many words,'christianity is the truth' and that was it.I saw a fleeting shadow pass through the struggling lady's face.
I shared the thought that came to my mind just then.That was how important it was to 'know our God'.
I did not say anything more then that because I did not want to sound preachy.
Jesus prays in John 17 vs 3-'..Now this is eternal life,that they know you,the only true God ,and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.'
How do we get to know our God?
1)We search for Him in earnestness.Jeremiah 29:13-'You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart.'
2)We ask,knock ...our God is a living God who answers if you open your heart and ask.Mathew 7:7'Ask and it will be given you,seek and you will find,knock and the door shall be opened onto you.'
3)We read His Word because 'he is the bread of life'.'In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.'-John 1 vs 1.
That brought to mind the series of bible studies we used to have in lakhnadon sunday evening in my place with a host of youngsters in the campus.
One series we did was on the gospel.
Week after week we would study the word with the help of an expositionary book.
As the weeks unfolded the author unfolded beautifully a pattern in the new testament.
There are two times when God directly introduces Jesus.Starting from the beginning of Christ's ministry when John the baptist baptizes Jesus in river Jordan and when the heavens open and a voice from heaven says,'This is my Son whom I love ;with Him I am well pleased.'Mathew 3:17 and in the mount of transfiguration(Luke 9 v35) ' A voice came from the cloud saying,'This is my Son,whom I have chosen,listen to Him.'
The Holy spirit continues this work of God by introducing the true nature of the Son throughout the new testament.
The God of small things-turning water into wine at the wedding in Cana.
The God who forgives our sins.
The lord over nature.
The Lord our healer.
The Lord our provider.
The Lord over death and life,
The Lord over evil spirits,
The Lamb of God,
The True Vine,
The Good Shepherd,
The Cornerstone,'
The Resurrection and Life,
Our peace,
The Redeemer.
The Rock of ages,
The Messiah

and the list goes on and on till in revelation He is the
'Lion of the tribe of Judah',
'the Victorious one',
'The Lord of Lords and the King of Kings'
before whom every knee will bow and every tongue will confess,that Jesus Christ is Lord.
The Lord our God continues to introduce us to His son through the deposit He has made in us ,the Holy spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.