Skip to main content

Apathy or .....

It has been a fairly busy fortnight or so ,in between I felt a little morose and had some trouble trying to get interested in anything much,I enjoyed my bible reading,loved spending time with parents and brother but was a little restless.I had this great desire to start some kind of course perhaps a biblical one but since the internet has been a problem,I am considering doing mountain medicine in Kathmandu sometime at the end of this year,come winter I need to try and squeeze in my mother's knee replacement which she has agreed to atlast.
The rains continue to pour.Uncle Saring all of eighty years took to bed yesterday with chest discomfort and fever.I was in and out of his home the whole day yesterday and the first thing in the morning.It was a joy to see him well and usual today.Visiting the local hospital to get an ECG done was a nightmare as usual .Firstly on a sunday there was a single lady doctor seeing patients.When we asked for an ECG to be done we were asked to come the next day.To my open mouthed question as to what about my uncle who had a chest pain, we were told that they had to call the technician on call.Later on having gathered that we did seem to have some knowledge of english as a language because we were overheard talking to my cousin ,the doctor hurriedly wrote a prescription for ECG and explained that the MD doctor would be available only the next day and that was the reason she had said whatever she had ,to be fair she was apologetic and then sent us through to the wards where she said it could be done.In the ward the ladies were extremely polite and shuffled around for bit and then one of them very perkily told us ,'We have run out of the proper paper ,the one we have is small in size so can you please come tomorrow for the ECG?'Both uncle and myself looked at each other dumbstruck.My uncle is a diabetic on insulin ,hypertensive and is on a cocktail of medicines from CMC.So I gently told her I would look at the tracing on the monitor and we would not need a paper tracing.Uncle's ECG was allright by God's grace.Towards the evening he started getting rigors,so assuming it would be a UTI I started him on emperical Ciprofloxacin and monitered his sugar closely,this morning he looks like a new person by God's grace.
I felt extremely sorry for the doctors,for the staffs,for the pharmacist down below but not for the local people of Mangan.My home-town is a district.There really seems to be something wrong with the people.The huge hospital which must have been built on crores of government money not more than a decade ago was razed to the ground due to shoddy work.Just how shameless can things get?I personally call it cold blooded murder because the number of people who might have died due to corruption and apathy on everyone's part would be countless.It does not matter how many lamps you light in the holy place,how many beads you count,....
I looked for some GTN spray or any form of nitroglycerin,the pharmacist who we knew well and is educated in Manipal told me forlornly that he did not keep any heart medicines apart from antihypertensives because he has had to throw them away earlier because there were no prescriptions for it.Gangtok is a good three to four hours away if the weather is good and the roads are fine.
Is it plain apathy,lack of political will,lack of awareness,no governance,selfishness,it is hard to judge.....
I wonder what my role is ,in all this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.