Skip to main content

Learnings.

The lockdown is nearing two months.
It has been a restful near two months by  God’s grace.
Every day I learn new things about the way of life in Mangan and it can only be about my returning and rest.
Having restful parents tops the list.One day a few years ago I asked my mother if I could just stay home and do nothing and my mother said ‘yes’.
This two months at home has been an internship with nature.
There are so many things I have been learning but I remember a few things off hand and those I better write down so that I can go back to it from time to time..
1.Farming requires a deep understanding of nature.It requires discipline,consistency,integrity and it moves to its own rythemn.You join it respectfully and move with it.If one lacks integrity and is unable to keep up with it,it shows.
2.Nature is a good teacher.It is forever flinging surprises at you like a flower which suddenly blooms and brings much joy to the heart.
3.Mornings are beautiful in a farm.Earlier you catch the dawn,more of the wonder it brings to your everyday life.
4.There are seasonal vegetables that are one time grow but there are others which keep giving yield as long as we are disciplined enough to keep breaking the shoots and using it in the kitchen or else it just flowers and finishes its haul.
These are vegetables like celery,broccoli,nettle,coriander,water cress,etc which need to be worked through consistently and there are others like cauliflower,radish and cabbages ,etc which are a one time grow.
5.Potatoes are annually dug and brings a significant yield but one often leaves behind a lot of potatoes in the field in the first dig which gets collected for the second time when we prepare the land for another crop.
My mother makes sure that the second crop is shared amongst the people who work in the field.Reminds me of the book of Ruth.
5.The fruits and berries are sweeter after a haul of sunshine and is slightly bland after the rains.
6.Bananas after it starts to ripen in the tree can be cut and left to ripen in the rice bags.
7.Cows moo for a reason.It moos when it sees strangers around,when it is hungry,when it is time to feed the young and when it is time for milking and occasionally when it is unwell..They are by nature compassionate creatures.
8.Cottage cheese  can be made by just heating the curd till it separates from the water.
9.When using sugar syrups as additives for various fruits and savouries it needs to be cooked properly.It is done when it brings forth strands and is sticky.
10.Vinegar which is sold in the market is acetic acid and it can be easily made at home with fruits and herbs.
11.While planting green herbs all one needs to do is throw the seeds in the prepared mud and leave it.Nature takes care of it.
12.Ginger does not grow in wet land it rots so one needs a drier land for it.
13.For growing capsicum one needs dry manure but wet land.
14.Compost heaps require special care and even the urine of the cow can be collected in wells and used as manure .
15.Birds feed on fruits and flowers .Its wonderful to have bird feeds in the garden but one should be ready to watch the tiny,beautifully harmless birds maul the occasional beautiful flower.
16.When rose  plants shed and changes colour one trims the shoot .The shoots bring forth flowers another season but so does the cut shoot if it is planted into the soil.
There is life in the trimmed plant and in the discoloured bits which has flowered for the season. 
One can have life around and yet be oblivious of it.
16.Nature is a generous giver.There is no end to what it has to offer but one needs to be selflessly mindful of the other creatures around.
We all are definitely becoming richer together and are thankful for this grace at a time like this.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.