Skip to main content

POTPOURIE.

 


Sheer resilliance  of the people of India beats me. One of my younger colleagues was telling me about a beggar in Varanasi who sits outside one of the bigger temples and has educated his children so well that one of them is an IAS officer and all his children are doing well but he continues to beg outside the temple .When asked the reason for still continuing to beg , he says that he had earned his livelihood and had educated his children through begging and so he was going to continue to beg for the rest of his life  I am not sure how to respond to that.

In the intricate nooks and corners of the villages in UP one hardly sees good houses.Yet out of these hardy villages where the carpet weavers,daily labourers,the out-caste,the differently abled,the high castes live separated by the boundaries of generations ,are sprinkled highly educated daughter-in-laws  hidden behind the curtains of tradition.Meeta tells me she is a doctrate with a PHD but she is a daughter in law so does not really know anyone about town.On prodding further I learn that she is a lecturer in a college but keeps a low profile.

Regardless of where they come from they go back to their homes and sometimes commute from their homes through kilometres on end,My colleague was telling me about a family which has ninety men living in a joint family.

The other day I met a man with a half open head.His brain pulsating and  was exposed in the open and has been so for the past many years.He was a victim of an acid attack which has taken his eye and the geography of one half of his face.He does his wound dressing himself.From the middle of the cerebrum, on one side ,there is a structure protruding out,most probably a growth.One wonders how he has not succumbed to an infection thus far.

It is a sad story of a war between siblings for land and a third person has come forth and thrown acid at this brother.Out of curiosity I ask after the person who threw the acid and I am informed almost in a matter of fact tone that the person succumbed to a road traffic accident the same night.I stare at the family in despair and doubt.They are dirt poor.The son looks innocent ,well meaning but I see a hood in his father’s eyes.Not sure what it is. Rajani finds them,she walks along with them,wonders for them and often struggles with them.

The other day a couple walked into my OPD with a very peculiar request.The lady was on anti-tuberculous medication and had conceived and had taken an abortifacient but did not bleed so wanted some help with getting rid of the baby.She pushed the abortifacient towards me and it was a pill and the cover read,”Unwanted”.I was deeply disturbed .Just how blatant could one  get?I was talking to them,carefully, when the  stone faced husband sounded apologetic and said that they had been under the impression that the anti-tubercular medication would cause the baby harm and so had decided to take the medication.They have agreed to wait the eight week out for an ultrasound and to go ahead with the pregnancy if all is well.

The picture of Rahul Gandhi swimming with the fishermen in Kerala was refreshing to say the least.It will stay in my mind for sometime.

In the meantime Rajkumar’s artistry in the Barsati garden continues to fascinate me.He seldom looks up,I see him bent and digging whenever I walk by.His face lights up and his face wrinkles into a wide smile when I stop to talk to him about his flowers.He is only too happy to oblige if I ask for help with some of my flowers.The Barsati garden has been named after his father who was the gardener before him.



 


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Image of Christ.

 There is nothing more scarier than a heart that has hardened .I was talking to Mary the other day,infact weeping with her There is a deep restlessnessness inside.Thank God for it becuase it shows that I have not resigned myself to the way things are.I was telling her I miss the deep experience of seeing the image of Christ and the compassion of the Holy spirit which just used to overwhelm  my heart when I saw the image of Christ in people ,situation and the creation. What is the image of Christ?It is a body marred and maimed to bear the sin of the world.it is a voice that did not speak in protest against God the father,who actually planned it all before the creation of the world,not against the people who maimed Him ,flogged Him,drove the nails into His hands and feet to satisfy their sinful nature.The image of Christ is a body broken  to the utmost yet given to feed the very same people .It is a love that did not count the cost. I am a person who does not put too much v...

Till I finally reach Home...

I have made some sort of trend to do one solid thing every year of my life in Mangan post-EHA and un-beknowest I seem to have a knack for doing things almost subconciously. I learnt driving,started the dialysis unit,learning violen,built my building..atleast half is done....opened a shop and this season I could deliver christmas cakes  for sale to various families .It kept me busy and occupied. Each cake was a labour intensive but absorbing work.Almost like painting. Here is the result. I realise I delivered 11 cakes this season.But there is this restlessness again ....someday I will be home and I will rest.....till then..I am on the lookout for the next project,

A self retreat.

 The last week of January I have started camping out in my construction site with a manuel which reads the King's James version of Holy bible.I thought I would take time to just quieten myself .I am getting a peek into the family who looks after my land.The construction is moving at rapid pace.I pray that it will beat the monsoons this year.If the Lord wills it I hope to do the first floor as well in this sitting.It requires a lot of prayer for the plan and the design and occupancy thereafter. As you can see there is a significant progress.I am here for till the month end.The first night my two little nephews and my cousin decided to rough it out with me.It was quite interesting having them around. The early morning view of the mountains are what I am hoping to catch.It can be breathtaking in December and we are still towards the end of winter so I should be able to enjoy it.The first night was a learning experience with princess and the pea experience.Second nigh onwards I have ha...