Skip to main content

Fighting my demons.

 



I have been fighting my demons in Kalimpong .Elgin Silver Oaks was originally built by a famous British Jute Magnate in the year 1930’s and was later sold to Freiderich Deshraj who is said to have built the Teesta bridge.Freidreich Deshraj later sold it to Diamond Oberio. who added an extra floor and converted it to a boutique hotel.The traffic jam to Kalimpong  was back breaking and having reached the hotel a wee earlier than the check in time we found the housekeeping in a state of panic.While we waited for the rooms to be ready an old soul lead us to the flamboyant lounge,gave us the traditional scarves and a glass of juice.



Another fifteen minutes and the room was partially ready so we parked our stuff and decided to saunter to the market.Kalimpong seems to be in a state of disarray.Tight fit town looked like the Gangtok of the eighties.People also seemed to be stuck somewhere in the time zone.Went looking for food in town and predictably ended up in Gompus.The place seemed starved for space but the food was predictably good..

It was heartening to see some old boys catching up for lunch and trying to grab the bill.They were casually catching up whiile they carried their shopping bags.Post lunch we went looking for some food items which the siblings had asked for .We found a dear lady selling knicks and knacks so we picked up some lollpops and noodles.

Another distinct thing we discovered about the place was the statue of two nepali poets right in the middle of the market one,Agam Singh Giri and the other Bhanu bhakta.

We had a short nap and as the evening came we went around the hotel looking  at the grounds and taking note of the tiny details.



It is a beautiful hotel with a grand  ambience to match the home country of the builder but it is in the tiny details of housekeeping,punctuality,attention to details which the newer staffs have a lot to catch up on.

In the evening we  ended the day with fish and chips and a heart full of gratitude to the Lord.I feel a lot better already.

The morrow sees us in Darjeeling A fleeting but a much awaited visit.I was last there when I was six years old.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Image of Christ.

 There is nothing more scarier than a heart that has hardened .I was talking to Mary the other day,infact weeping with her There is a deep restlessnessness inside.Thank God for it becuase it shows that I have not resigned myself to the way things are.I was telling her I miss the deep experience of seeing the image of Christ and the compassion of the Holy spirit which just used to overwhelm  my heart when I saw the image of Christ in people ,situation and the creation. What is the image of Christ?It is a body marred and maimed to bear the sin of the world.it is a voice that did not speak in protest against God the father,who actually planned it all before the creation of the world,not against the people who maimed Him ,flogged Him,drove the nails into His hands and feet to satisfy their sinful nature.The image of Christ is a body broken  to the utmost yet given to feed the very same people .It is a love that did not count the cost. I am a person who does not put too much v...

Till I finally reach Home...

I have made some sort of trend to do one solid thing every year of my life in Mangan post-EHA and un-beknowest I seem to have a knack for doing things almost subconciously. I learnt driving,started the dialysis unit,learning violen,built my building..atleast half is done....opened a shop and this season I could deliver christmas cakes  for sale to various families .It kept me busy and occupied. Each cake was a labour intensive but absorbing work.Almost like painting. Here is the result. I realise I delivered 11 cakes this season.But there is this restlessness again ....someday I will be home and I will rest.....till then..I am on the lookout for the next project,

A self retreat.

 The last week of January I have started camping out in my construction site with a manuel which reads the King's James version of Holy bible.I thought I would take time to just quieten myself .I am getting a peek into the family who looks after my land.The construction is moving at rapid pace.I pray that it will beat the monsoons this year.If the Lord wills it I hope to do the first floor as well in this sitting.It requires a lot of prayer for the plan and the design and occupancy thereafter. As you can see there is a significant progress.I am here for till the month end.The first night my two little nephews and my cousin decided to rough it out with me.It was quite interesting having them around. The early morning view of the mountains are what I am hoping to catch.It can be breathtaking in December and we are still towards the end of winter so I should be able to enjoy it.The first night was a learning experience with princess and the pea experience.Second nigh onwards I have ha...