Skip to main content

Snapshots I would like to carry with me...

All of us take snapshots of times and memories they hold dear in their hearts and treasure them in their albums and folders .However ,for me the most precious memories are very often not photographed.It is those times when I have felt a deep joy in my heart.I had one such moment just the other night.The emergency the past few days have been beyond mad.It is a continuos process of engagement with very sick people for thirteen hours straight with a small break for lunch if one can help it.
I was doing the post-take rounds with one of the consultants .We had some sick people ,but we also had to keep the line moving with discharging as much patients as possible so that we had beds for the sick ones.
In all the confusion ,I had some job trying to trace one of our sick patients who had been moved to another ward.After doing the rounds of three wards I was mighty glad to trace the patient and was examining him and writing up the prescriptions when i heard a gibberish yodel from another part of the ward.It caught my attention allright as of all the other patients and the bystanders.I thought I was being teased.That was when I realised it was a patient I had clerked in some two days earlier in the A and E.
He had bilateral knee amputation with a long term catheter.The catheter was full of pus and he was non-responsive by the time he was brought to us with sepsis,AKI and dehydration.With a few bags of fluid in ,he improved quite dramatically.He improved enough to let my colleague know that 'I was a good girl!'.
I was extremely touched to realise that he was trying to let me know that he was in that ward....with spit drooling from the sides of his mouth...weighing around a hundred kgs,it was a feat trying to make him a little more comfortable...no help was at hand,everyone working beyond their capacity..I tried one way or the other to push him till he was mildly comfortable.He kept reiterating I was too small,and would not be able to do it,he was comfortable enough.
Working around Christmas and New Year has actually taken me by surprise.Apart from the fact that everyone seems to be complaining about the sheer magnitude of patients that have come in very sick through the emergency door, I have been surprised and touched by the sheer grit and goodness of the human spirit,in some of my colleagies who have been working very hard,the relatives who have stood by their loved ones through the long wait ,the patients themselves,very sick but even in their sickness being the best they possibly can.
These are the snap-shots I would like to carry with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.