Skip to main content

Getting the diagnosis from the Lord.

A sixty years old lady was brought in with a history of being bed-bound for better part of ten years with a gradual mental decline.She had her left leg flexed and would not let anyone touch it.She looked considerably pale but had a comfortable haemoglobin of nine and would struggle with pain day in and day out.We got an ultrasound of her abdomen incase she was tracking a cold abscess in her psoas.It showed hyperechpic kidneys bilaterally and a gallstone.In the evening when we went for the rounds we noticed that the painful legs were unusually cold as compared to the right side so we made a note to send her for doppler of the left feet the next day.Her chest X-ray showed extensive haziness on the left side which to our unsuspecting eye looked semi-homogenious.We tried unsuccessfully to get some sputum and was somehow not settled with her because we were missing something beyond the dementia which the relatives claimed she had.
The next day I was in the chapel and the worship was going on and while the worship was going on I saw the old man,her husband standing in 'the middle of the corridor just outside the chapel door with his eyes closed,an unusual sight for a patient or a bystander while the worship was on '.I was deeply touched and so I told the Lord,'I will go back and relook the case Lord.'
We went back and re-examined the lady.I had reprimended the staff about the patient's hygeine the first day and was promptly told that they had done a good PV care in the morning and the patient was on a diaper but I still got a stench.We got the fetal doppler and we went through all the vessels in the lower limb.Her dorsalis pedis was missing on the left side.She was throwing an emboli from somewhere so we auscultated the heart,there was no murmur.The other thing we had to consider was marantic endocardites( non-infective) in which case she would have to have an advanced malignancy.Her USG did not show anything but at this point I walked up to Dr Cecily our visiting obstetrician to do a PV/PS.Which she did promptly with a lot of protest from the patient who was making animal sounds by then.Her cervix was irregular and she was bleeding PV on touch.
In the meantime I had already reviewed the X-ray and I could see faint shadows of cannon ball in between the semi-homogenious shadow.
So within fifteen minutes of my talking to the Lord we had a diagnosis in hand and then we got our wonderful palliative care team involved who were more than willing to cart her to Tata institute (Homibhaba)which is by God's grace half way to Benaras from kachwa.They were not only going to accompany them but also help them with paperworks and government machineries with Ayushman,etc.
Even as we talked to the patient and the bystanders and arranged the paperworks,I just sat down put and thanked the Lord for his grace.I could visibly see a sense of humble acceptance in the eyes of her husband and the son.
The diagnosis was nothing to write home about but the Lord helped us to come to the diagnosis so that we could help the family in what way we could ,given the circumstances.
(The lady was difficult to examine and was very hostile towards anyone touching her in anyway. )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.