Thursday, November 22, 2012

Heart before brain.


She was thirty five,a mother of two,an afro-european lady,would have passed off for a teenager.She was brought into the A&E with a consolidation unresponsive to antibiotics.The radiological interpretation was,could be atypical pneumonia or any other sinister diagnosis.
So there was an infection control red alert.
I have worked with tuberculosis patients for the better part of ten years in India and I have seen some real bad cases.Not that we have the facility for great infection control standards in India,but by God's grace I have not contracted that infection till date.
However it is a new country that I am in and was not really sure of the rules.
However I decided to just approach her and talk to her as I would a regular patient.
She looked a little distracted and and then one of the nursing staffs entered looking like a person in the outer space with masks,aprons and with profuse apology saying that she had had instructions from her superior to be careful.She gave me a wierd look .
I caught a glimpse of the expression on my patient's face and I saw a sad shadow fall across it.
I felt a twinge in my heart and thanked the Lord that I had decided to follow my heart instead of my head.
I have carried that sad expression in my heart ever since.

2 comments:

Andi and Sheba Eicher said...

Thanks for continuing to live out the love of Christ to your patients Cherring! Blessings from the Eichers

pixi said...

Thank you for the blessings.It means a lot to me.