Skip to main content

At it!

It’s been a hectic two days.Sort of getting started with the DNB classes-with exams just three months away ,we have two students from family medicine ,two from rural surgery and two from OBG appearing in December.By God’s grace help has been forthcoming from various sources-taking classes,helping with their course work,helping start a family medicine forum every Tuesday from three to four where the students sit together by themselves to discuss some prepared topics and share the schedule for the next week.One of them keeps the minutes and the non- exam going batch do some research on various topics given for the add-on.It’s just a way to encourage a dialogue ,discussion and a feeling of camadarrie amongst the students ,each one helping each other out in what ways one can.They had their first sitting yesterday amidst visitors from South Africa who were heavily into the system in the hospital.Had an average biryani and an excellent salad with strawberry ice-cream with the visitors in a restaurant in Selaquey(not sure of the spelling)-It’s half way to Dehradun,chatting all the way beyond the bumps and bolts of an average Indian road.
This morning had a surprise in store .Even as I got downstairs ,I could hear the rain on the roof-top.Anyone who knows me would know that I belong to the category of people who scoff at individuals who carry umbrellas and torches.Nine years of my stay in Satbarwa,I made do without them,never had a problem.However,this morning I found it nigh impossible to venture out .I was standing near the steps contemplating my next step when Sushil came out from his house and very graciously and quietly asked his wife to hand me her umbrella.We made it to the IP building and found the roofs leaking all over.It rained cats and dogs the whole morning.Very few patients trickelled in.Amongst them was an orthopaedic patient who had come all the way from Madhya Pradesh!By the time it was lunch time,there was almost a river flowing .We waded through the waters,the current was quite strong.I felt a moment of uncertainity with my weak ankles.The kindly youth from the church guided me through an easier route to my quarter.This was a flood situation and suddenly HCH was at it.The youngsters and old people alike were out in their shorts swimming,playing foot-ball,clicking snaps and generally having fun.From my open door,I could see Anu clicking away snaps.Sushil’s little twins very calmly watched the going ons .
I decided to catch some hurried sleep on my sofa before I got called from the casualty.

Comments

Pradeep said…
Chering, I enjoy reading your blog, and this last post brought back many memories of the time Arpita and I spent at HCH...definitely some of the best years of our lives. I am glad you are there at this time.

I remember a flood we had once in 2006 or 2007. It rained heavily for a few hours, and before we realised what had happened there was a river flowing across the campus in front of the Lehmann bungalow. I remember doing rounds in Male ward.....it was flooded, and cut IV bottles that were being used to collect NG aspirates were floating around the ward. It was such fun.

Finally, we had to break the compound wall behind the generator shed to let all the accumulated water out
chering said…
Good to hear from you-
the guys were talking about the 2006 floods-Daniel tells me this is bigger!
The water levels were down to the ground by morning.
Hi Chering! I see you are working with Sushil. That's great - at last you may find a Vellore product whom you can stand!! Keep up the blogging and God bless!
pixi said…
Thanks folks!
Vellore products are great!-and you top the list!
Have been in Chattarpur for the fortnight and it is fascinating to be in the heart of India during these times.
God bless you guys too.
Chering

Popular posts from this blog

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.