Skip to main content

Snapshots I would like to carry with me...

All of us take snapshots of times and memories they hold dear in their hearts and treasure them in their albums and folders .However ,for me the most precious memories are very often not photographed.It is those times when I have felt a deep joy in my heart.I had one such moment just the other night.The emergency the past few days have been beyond mad.It is a continuos process of engagement with very sick people for thirteen hours straight with a small break for lunch if one can help it.
I was doing the post-take rounds with one of the consultants .We had some sick people ,but we also had to keep the line moving with discharging as much patients as possible so that we had beds for the sick ones.
In all the confusion ,I had some job trying to trace one of our sick patients who had been moved to another ward.After doing the rounds of three wards I was mighty glad to trace the patient and was examining him and writing up the prescriptions when i heard a gibberish yodel from another part of the ward.It caught my attention allright as of all the other patients and the bystanders.I thought I was being teased.That was when I realised it was a patient I had clerked in some two days earlier in the A and E.
He had bilateral knee amputation with a long term catheter.The catheter was full of pus and he was non-responsive by the time he was brought to us with sepsis,AKI and dehydration.With a few bags of fluid in ,he improved quite dramatically.He improved enough to let my colleague know that 'I was a good girl!'.
I was extremely touched to realise that he was trying to let me know that he was in that ward....with spit drooling from the sides of his mouth...weighing around a hundred kgs,it was a feat trying to make him a little more comfortable...no help was at hand,everyone working beyond their capacity..I tried one way or the other to push him till he was mildly comfortable.He kept reiterating I was too small,and would not be able to do it,he was comfortable enough.
Working around Christmas and New Year has actually taken me by surprise.Apart from the fact that everyone seems to be complaining about the sheer magnitude of patients that have come in very sick through the emergency door, I have been surprised and touched by the sheer grit and goodness of the human spirit,in some of my colleagies who have been working very hard,the relatives who have stood by their loved ones through the long wait ,the patients themselves,very sick but even in their sickness being the best they possibly can.
These are the snap-shots I would like to carry with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Image of Christ.

 There is nothing more scarier than a heart that has hardened .I was talking to Mary the other day,infact weeping with her There is a deep restlessnessness inside.Thank God for it becuase it shows that I have not resigned myself to the way things are.I was telling her I miss the deep experience of seeing the image of Christ and the compassion of the Holy spirit which just used to overwhelm  my heart when I saw the image of Christ in people ,situation and the creation. What is the image of Christ?It is a body marred and maimed to bear the sin of the world.it is a voice that did not speak in protest against God the father,who actually planned it all before the creation of the world,not against the people who maimed Him ,flogged Him,drove the nails into His hands and feet to satisfy their sinful nature.The image of Christ is a body broken  to the utmost yet given to feed the very same people .It is a love that did not count the cost. I am a person who does not put too much v...

Till I finally reach Home...

I have made some sort of trend to do one solid thing every year of my life in Mangan post-EHA and un-beknowest I seem to have a knack for doing things almost subconciously. I learnt driving,started the dialysis unit,learning violen,built my building..atleast half is done....opened a shop and this season I could deliver christmas cakes  for sale to various families .It kept me busy and occupied. Each cake was a labour intensive but absorbing work.Almost like painting. Here is the result. I realise I delivered 11 cakes this season.But there is this restlessness again ....someday I will be home and I will rest.....till then..I am on the lookout for the next project,

embrace by the nail ridden hands