Skip to main content

Weep,my beloved country,in shame.

It is with a sense of concern that I have come face to face with the reality of actual hunger in my country.There are extremely malnutritioned and sick babies in the nooks and corners of India ignored,unaccounted for.With a deep sense of shame I call out all the big time politicians who have benefitted from the votes of the common man in UP,I call out the film-stars who with their head held high say they are from UP ,to all the celebritties and average Indian men and women who donate millions of rupees to the temples ...how could they not be aware of existance of these extremely poor people tied up in the bondages of poverty,ignorance and just plain hunger.
Talking to one of the community health personals whilst conducting literacy classes they found that there were certain women group who were very dull and just could not pick up the lessons.On making further enquiry it was found when they had food in the house the first person to eat would be the men and then the children would eat and after that women would drink the water the rice was cooked in.
They arranged food for the group and within a few months they started smartening up.
Varsha,all of one and half years ,weighed 4 KGs ,would not cry,had impetigoes all over her hands and legs.She was brought into the out-patient by her grandmother who had just one plea,'please save my grandchild ,I don't have any money.'We arranged for her to be admitted ,made a plan not only to treat her but to support her nutritionally as well.We arranged for a room for her since we thought she might have a longer haul.
By evening my junior called up to inform me that the bystander was fighting with the staff to be released to take the patient home.I walked back with my colleague to try and understand what was happening.
The grandmother had left the child with her very pregnant mother who apparently had two more children at home.Her husband was away across the Ganga to find work so that he could pay for this child's treatment.Her arguement was that she had to arrange for ration for the kids at home and she herself was hungry.We offered to arrange meals for her and the two children at home and then she came up with the actual reason ,she wanted to take the child to see an Ojha or a witch doctor.Where do you start reasoning with such logic,one could hardly restrain her so we let her go home with the promise that she would come the next day with the child.She never came.
As poor as they are ,they are also tied up in knots of superstition,ignorance and rituals.They are tough to get through to.They are not employed by the high caste people due to their untouchability status and so the viscious cycle goes on.
This is India where we have an Indian in the Forbes richest list and all the government machineries are favoured towards helping them grow richer and there is tiny Varsha's all over the country unaccounted for,uncared and ignored.
Weep ,my beloved country,in shame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.