Skip to main content

Learning on...

We had some peculiar sightings these holidays and have learnt to understand nature better. Yesterday I spent most of the morning making some plum jelly and later on in the day worked on some coffee which came forth splendidly. Around afternoon we heard the birds make a cacophony of noise and the first instinct as my brother and my mother who understand nature better was to be alert as to what was disturbing them. Suddenly we saw a crow make plenty of noise . Sailly screamed and almost dropped her plate. She seemed to have spotted a monkey on the second floor of the house. She called all of us and as we gathered to try and take some photographs ,the monkey hobbled down towards the greenhouse and then disappeared. Later on ,my brother while talking to some of the people who live in the upper zone ,came with the news that it was its second visit. Apparently it had made a similar visit yesterday and had hovered around specially targeting the crows nest, and that was the reason why the crow sounded so hassled by its presence.One may think what’s so unusual about sighting a monkey but this is the first one I have seen in my hometown.
Then my mother told me an interesting thing, I believe whenever something disturb the birds or they see something unusual the birds have ways of warning and asking for help.Apparently the first bird to warn is the little brown and sweet sparrows after which it is the tailorbird, then comes the hill mynas and then last of all the crows join in. When you listen to these creatures quietly and respond ,one invariably has the privilege to sight the unusual.
I have been learning a few things about farming.The other day my brother was teaching me how to water the plants and although I have done my fair share of kitchen gardening in the hospital quartersI realise I have a lot to learn. For instance while watering the plant I believe one must not water the leaves but soak the ground below.I have on different occasion given the plants a good bath.
Another vital thing that I learnt recently is if one is thinking of using an organic manure say ,cow dung,then one has to be sure that it has become a compost and must not try to put raw manure on the plansts.That would extract all the nitrogen from the plant to form a compost and therefore it would be detrimental for the plant.
I also learnt the art of mulching to keep the weeds at bay and to retain moisture in the ground.
I am getting challenged in political science as well and have just finished this fascinating book,a memoir of a political officer’s wife in Tibet,SIkkim and Bhutan by Margaret D Williamson.
Mr Williamson,a Scottish gentleman ,political officer of the region ,succumbed to a renal failure while on an official visit to Tibet while based in Sikkim.He left behind a widow after just two years of marriage and she wrote the memoir.This was in the thirties.What made me wonder was the innumerable journeys the couple had made through the difficult Himalayan terrains and weather to make these official visits ,mind you ,on the back of the mules over days on end, these terrains and the paths are closed to human expeditions now .Politically as well a very turbulent time when Tibet was ruled by a regent and the tug of war between the chinese and the other powers were at play and the hunt was on for the Dalai Lama to be reborn as per Buddhist beliefs. The Williamsons seemed to have embraced the indiviiduals they came across and interacted with ,during these times ,beautifully.Some became lifelong friends.It is no wonder  that the British ruled the world.The book was unputdownable for me.

I have this daily morning habit of taking my early morning cup of tea in the patio overlooking the city of greens that is my view with the Kanchendjonga smiling at me. 
This morning as I meditatively looked around I was struck by these overtly bright leaves on a heavily leafy tree in my line of vision.While I stared at it,they looked pretty compared to the dark green ones which were there but hardly stood out.On studying it closely I realised  that those were the leaves furthest from the trunk and the root.They were lighter green  frailones because their food and water was compromised but not so the sunshine.Were a gust of fierce wind to come they would blow away.
So much to learn from watching and listening close enough to people,plants,birds and bees....the learning goes on.




IMG-20200609-WA0002.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.