Skip to main content

‘… And Saul was consenting unto his death.(Acts 8vs1).


(Reference Acts of the apostles chapter 8 and 9).

Saul of Tarsus was a zealous Jew.He was faithful to his  religion and  considered the followers of Christ a threat to the traditional Jewish religion.
So he went about in every way possible to subdue and do away with the church. 
The book of Acts records the first martyr of Christian history.
It was Stephen ,a man full of Holy Spirit, who was stoned to death.
Saul of Tarsus is introduced here as the young man ,at whose feet the witnesses laid down their robes,even as they stoned Stephen to death.
The martyrdom of Stephen has been described as the hinge that changed the world for ever by Ravi Z.
A great persecution of the church broke out at that time and Saul of Tarsus led many of these attacks,entering churches and imprisoning believers.
This same Saul ,in his zeal for his religion ,the bible says “......yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord…”.goes to the high priest in the synagogue and demands a letter to Damascus where whenever he finds these believers he would capture them and bring them back to Jerusalem as prisoners.
He gets the letter to that effect and starts travelling to Damascus.
However the Lord has his own plan for Saul’s life.
As he nears Damascus suddenly a light from heaven shines on Saul and he falls down to the earth and hears a voice saying on to him ,’Saul,Saul why are you persecuting me?’
So he asks ,’who are you Lord?’
The Lord answered ,’I am Jesus whom  thou persecutest.......’
And he trembling and astonished said,”Lord,what will thou have me to do?”
and the Lord said unto him , “arise, and go into the city ,and it shall be told thee what thou must do.”
The men who were with Saul heard the  voice but saw no one.
When Saul gets up from the ground he has lost his sight ,so his companions lead him into Damascus.
For three days in Damascus Saul is blind and does not eat or drink.
In the meantime the Lord in a vision speaks to a disciple named Ananias in Damascus.
Acts 9 vs 11and12says,
Vs11.And the Lord said on to him,”Arise and go into the street which is called Straight, and inquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus: for, behold he prayeth.(I find this personally so uplifting...God who hears our prayer.)
Vs12.And hath seen a vision of a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him that he might receive his sight” .

As would be expected Ananias expresses his apprehension and he recounts to the Lord of Saul’s evil deeds and how he had come with a letter from the high priest to bind everyone who calls on the name of the Lord.

Vs 15.But the Lord said on to him,Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel on to me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and Kings, and the children of Israel.
Vs16.For I will show him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake.

Ananias obeys the Lord and prays for Paul as commanded by the Lord and Paul receives his sight and is filled with the Holy spirit.
Thus began the journey of one of the most impactful followers of Christ whom the Lord used mightily as promised ,to bear his name to us Gentiles, to the Jews and to the Kings.
Saul of Tarsus  who is known as apostle Paul wrote 13 of the 27 books of the new Testament.
Four of these books were written from behind a prison cell.
This same Saul of Tarsus in one of his letters to Philippians chapter 3 verse 8 writes,’
Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss but for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung,that I may win Christ..
The Holy Spirit is the missionary and the mission field the heart of man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.