Skip to main content

Balm of Gileod.....

 It was a busy OPD and and as always I enjoy talking to my patients . 'A' entered the OPD talking loudly with an elderly woman.A bright woman obviously educated came in with some vague complaints.She was from Delhi but had ventured into town recently and kept asking me relevent questions.However ,I found that she was tiptoeing around certain health issues and not dealing with it as one would expect.

Certain senior doctors run this trust where they do hysterectomies for ladies free of cost.I was talking to the said doctor and she told me about a cause of distress and shame uterine prolapse was to ladies from a rural setting so she along with her husband had decided to raise money to do the surgeries free of cost.

A lot of our patients have benefitted from the scheme.I examined the  lady and got out a history that she had a rectal prolapse and had had it since childhood.I was a little taken aback that she had done nothing about it.Suddenly she just broke down and burst out about how in Indian households women were not looked after well.Her exact words were firstly the girls have to face the neglect at their homes and then they are pushed into marriages in alien homes where they are deemed second class citizens.She wept bitterly as my colleague and I ,both woman ,watched and listened to her in a horrified silence.We sat by quietly as she cried.

I had ,just that morning ,been trying to build up a case for a young twenty year old lady who had such a bad post-tubercular bronchiectasis that she had just 28 % of her predicted FEV1 and 48% of her predicted FVC for her age and height.She was the lone potential bread winner in her family.Looking through her chest Xray I wondered where that minion lung function came from .She had no healthy lung left bilaterally.I had requested our community health team to advocate for a disability certificate for her and even while I scoured the reports I wondered how neglected she must have been as a child to end up with a lung like that. Twenty years and she had a whole life left in front of her but she was a fighter.

Coming back to the lady, I gently asked her after her children and she said she had two, and the older one was nine.

The words that came out from my mouth was ,'your children as they grow up will understand you,listen to you and  will be your friend,and will  look after you.'Even as I said it I had that sinking feeling in my heart.I thought ,'for how long ?Till they get married and have families of their own.'.I did not say so  but I told her she could always come back and talk to us whenever she felt overwhelmed.

That gave me much food for thought.This skewed deviation weaves out stories of it's own,told,untold but very much a part of the creation that weeps and weeps with pain.

"Where is the balm of Gileod?Is there no physician there?Why then  has not the health of the daughter of my people been restored?"(Jeremiah 8 vs 22)

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.