Skip to main content

Denial




Denial is a handicap that a person continues to live with and even believes it to be the truth.Sometimes the consequences are evidently bad but at other times the individual continues to live a lie.It hampers growth in ways one cannot even fathom.
Today even as I was halfway through putting in a needle into a patient with pleural effusion  one of my juniors came to me with an ecg of a patient with what seemed like a hyperacute myocardial infarction .A few hasty questions and I sent him right back to the casualty with a host of instruction.Cutting short my procedure I found the gentleman screaming in pain which does not bode a good prognosis.The senior nurse was at it loading the patient with the required medication.
I got the entire nursing team running around when the patient just collapsed cold.In no time we were at it doing a good cardiopulmonary resuscitation but I had never seen a patient with cardiogenic shock survive but we kept them going.His heart would start beating with the adrenaline drive but he would again collapse as soon as we stopped cpr.Thus the cycle went on for about an hour.Ultimately we had to give up.
The relatives were well educated and understood the prognosis .I spoke to the relatives ,handed things over to my junior for the certificate and the formalities and rushed to the opd which was singlehandedly being managed by our junior.
While scrutinising his charts  on the retrospect we found that he had come to the hospital on several occasions with complaints of chest pain but his ecg had always been normal.I had never seen him but once one of the doctors had advised him a treadmill test a year back but he had ignored the suggestion .
The reason I write this is that I find denial extremely common in the patients we see.Several patients in the course of being treated for IHD have often insisted it is just ‘gas’.It takes some tough talking to convince them.
Some even after thrombolysis and recovery have insisted on the diagnosis of ‘gas’ and then have come back to us sheepishly with angio reports ready to listen to anything we say.
Contrary to this a cousin of mine who was doing pretty well in every which ways noticed a recent problem with his upper gastrointestinal system.As eccentric as my relatives are ,he walked into the gastroenterologists office and insisted that he be scoped..So the doctor obliged and was scared out of his boot to see a deadly growth lurking  in the GE junction.
Things did not look well but my cousin kickstarted the process with his family’s support .Almost a decade down the line ,by God’s grace ,he is doing very well.Some of us are hypochondriacs but doctors most times mean well.I find myself increasingly having to give good lectures to the patients .What they would just like is a hasty prescription to go home with.
Denial of physical,mental and spiritual  indisposition can have dangerous consequences.May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ lead us to truth and free us

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.