Skip to main content

Daylight robbery in cultured Bengal and grace in rustic Bihar!!

I was to travel to Kolkotta,the city I have always raved about.The shaktipunj express in the AC class reads all booked.I board the train and what do I find ?-the TTs have booked the berths -there is heavy selling and buying inside the train for a goodnight's sleep.What's more the passengers all seem to be ready for it and obliging-I heard the TT label these passengers as his Laxmi(the goddess of wealth).The night's journey takes me to the taxi stand-I find the taxi driver's pestering right from the moment I disembark-their asking price is anywhere between 150Rs to 250Rs.I manage to wheedle my way to the pre-paid booth ,the man behind the counter asks for Rs 80 and does not have a change for Rs five hundred-suggests I take a taxi without the receipt and pay the meter charge-there is a taxi driver behind the counter monitering it all.I threaten to lodge a complaint-he brings out the change and allots a taxi immediately.On my return journey again in Howrah I see an inspector of sorts harrasing some passengers over some luggage ,he coolly empties their purses and pockets the loot.
The same Shaktipunj is to take me back to my destination-I miss my station and reach a vague place called Nagar-uttari at 3.33 AM in the morning.The station is all dark but for a gas-light of a tea-vendor and shadows of humanity stretched out in every direction.I pull my suit-case to a cold cement bench and generally graze around to look for a comfortable spot.A family of four-a rustic husband ,wife with two kids look like a relatively safe bet.I make enquiries and generally stick around with them till five in the morning.They are apparently going to the adjacent town of Ramna and are gracious enough to invite me to accompany them .They promise to put me in a bus to DTO from there.
I board an over-loaded utility van and bump my way through the bihar roads with every other live creature literally cackling away to glory so early in the morning-half an hour's drive ,I am in Ramna.It's a town of sorts.Immediately a host of people conclude and ask me if I have missed the station-it seemed to be a common mishap in those parts.I get through to the hospital and ask for a car to pick me up from DTO.The bus-ride to DTO is an eye-opener of sorts as we cross Meral,Garhwa road,Garhwa town,Shahpur,etc....these are the places where a lot of my patients come from. I mentally map them in my brain and enjoy a taste of my own medicine.Next time I see patients from this side of the world I will know exactly where to place them-geographically as well as morally!

Comments

Philip said…
Thank you for this interesting post of ironic experiences in Bengal and your eye opening trip through Garhwa.

I looked up Garhwa on wikipedia and read the following interesting note: "After the state Jharkhand was formed the roads condition became very good in the state as compared to Bihar. The road between Garhwa and Nagar Untari is remarkable but the road connecting to Nagar Untari and Bhavnathpur is the worst . The road going through the mines is very bad and it takes hours to travel only 8 kilometers."
pixi said…
Come to think of it ,I did make the bus journey literally on the hind wheels.It was not bad at all.

Popular posts from this blog

Image of Christ.

 There is nothing more scarier than a heart that has hardened .I was talking to Mary the other day,infact weeping with her There is a deep restlessnessness inside.Thank God for it becuase it shows that I have not resigned myself to the way things are.I was telling her I miss the deep experience of seeing the image of Christ and the compassion of the Holy spirit which just used to overwhelm  my heart when I saw the image of Christ in people ,situation and the creation. What is the image of Christ?It is a body marred and maimed to bear the sin of the world.it is a voice that did not speak in protest against God the father,who actually planned it all before the creation of the world,not against the people who maimed Him ,flogged Him,drove the nails into His hands and feet to satisfy their sinful nature.The image of Christ is a body broken  to the utmost yet given to feed the very same people .It is a love that did not count the cost. I am a person who does not put too much v...

Till I finally reach Home...

I have made some sort of trend to do one solid thing every year of my life in Mangan post-EHA and un-beknowest I seem to have a knack for doing things almost subconciously. I learnt driving,started the dialysis unit,learning violen,built my building..atleast half is done....opened a shop and this season I could deliver christmas cakes  for sale to various families .It kept me busy and occupied. Each cake was a labour intensive but absorbing work.Almost like painting. Here is the result. I realise I delivered 11 cakes this season.But there is this restlessness again ....someday I will be home and I will rest.....till then..I am on the lookout for the next project,

embrace by the nail ridden hands