Skip to main content

Shangrila

I have been reading a book on Kanchendjonga by a contemporary journalist in Sikkim.Kanchendjonga-a  sacred summit.It made a compelling reading for the fact that it has been written by a sikkimese for one and it is a farely comprehensive ,well-researched book written with a heart of an insider(i am not too fond of the word normally).
As I travelled home from Siliguri to my place in the north,I felt nostalgic and  sad.The beautiful drive home by the riverside was different with grotesque colonys of similar looking cold cement flats ,electrified to the hilt covering the prime lands near the river.Dams had been built and the normally turbulent ,spirited and wild  teesta had been reigned in to contain the waters-it looked strangely still waiting to be exploited to the hilt .As I travelled further north I saw a sight which gave me a reasonable amount of clarity and insight into the situation.I saw a group of young lepcha youths working on the road-side as labourers.I was so stunned by the sight that I did not realise that I had been oggling-they hid their faces.In my lifetime ,I had never seen them do that.Now there is nothing wrong with doing an honest days work but there has always been an un-written rule in Sikkim that the road-works and public daily wage works atleast in the north are done by the migrant labourers exclusively(Sounds almost biblical).
These gentle,protected folks from the himalayas who a decade ago had been hailed by one of their own as 'my vanishing tribe ' were being forced by circumstances into the mainstream -and they were not prepared for it.
Going back to the book I was reading, the author has done a two-paged write-up exclusively about Thomas Merton's visit to then Sikkim.Thomas Merton was a trappist monk who belonged to the Abbey of 'Our Lady of Gethsemani',a roman catholic and prolific spiritual voice of the twentieth century.His quote-my thoughts-summed up-
'There is another side of Kanchendjonga and of every mountain-the side that has never been photographed or turned into post-cards.that is the only side worth seeing'.

Comments

paula said…
lovely writes, the last few..

Popular posts from this blog

Image of Christ.

 There is nothing more scarier than a heart that has hardened .I was talking to Mary the other day,infact weeping with her There is a deep restlessnessness inside.Thank God for it becuase it shows that I have not resigned myself to the way things are.I was telling her I miss the deep experience of seeing the image of Christ and the compassion of the Holy spirit which just used to overwhelm  my heart when I saw the image of Christ in people ,situation and the creation. What is the image of Christ?It is a body marred and maimed to bear the sin of the world.it is a voice that did not speak in protest against God the father,who actually planned it all before the creation of the world,not against the people who maimed Him ,flogged Him,drove the nails into His hands and feet to satisfy their sinful nature.The image of Christ is a body broken  to the utmost yet given to feed the very same people .It is a love that did not count the cost. I am a person who does not put too much v...

Till I finally reach Home...

I have made some sort of trend to do one solid thing every year of my life in Mangan post-EHA and un-beknowest I seem to have a knack for doing things almost subconciously. I learnt driving,started the dialysis unit,learning violen,built my building..atleast half is done....opened a shop and this season I could deliver christmas cakes  for sale to various families .It kept me busy and occupied. Each cake was a labour intensive but absorbing work.Almost like painting. Here is the result. I realise I delivered 11 cakes this season.But there is this restlessness again ....someday I will be home and I will rest.....till then..I am on the lookout for the next project,

embrace by the nail ridden hands